Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Adjusting

Happy Birthday Grandma!!!


I´m getting into a routine here and it´s definitely taking some adjusting. We started classes this week, and we have great professors who are very well known and involved with different issues in Ecuador. Our days get long, since no one really follows a schedule here and the professors generally talk for as long as we´re still interested.

I find myself annoyed a lot, and I´m realizing how much I value my independence in the U.S. I´m so accustomed to making my own meals, coming and going when I want, etc. It´s difficult adjusting to a new family´s expecations and beliefs, although I´m keeping an open mind! My host mom is very religious and it´s a little dominating at times. It´s frustrating because they know that I am a Christian, yet I still feel like my host mom is trying to save me.

Conversation here is very roundabout. In the U.S. we are very direct with our speech and to the point. I often feel like I have the same conversation 5 times in a row, and the obvious is stated over and over....

I was surprised to find that the men here are respectful to women. In a lot of other Latin American countries men are very forward and vocal on the streets with catcalls, comments, etc... I´m sure a lot of you have experienced this!! However, we have 17 women in our group (out of 19) and no one has been catcalled or yelled at or anything. Quito is a pretty modern city and everyone pretty much goes about their business...

Next Monday and Tuesday are Carnival here (like Mardi Gras with water balloons) so we have a long weekend! I´ll try to get some pictures up next week...

Hasta pronto...




3 comments:

adam and andrea said...

Glad to hear things are going well! Can't wait to see some pictures! : ) Love you lots!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chels. I'm sorry to hear that the family thing is getting frustrating. My Aunt is the same religion as your host family and when you told me that I was a little scared for you, as far as what i've experianced, they try to push their religon on you and will antagonize you until you can't stand it any longer. You may have to put you foot down and have a talk with this lady and let her know that your not interested. Sorry to sound so weird but I just dont want you to get attacked. I hope your having a wonderful time otherwise! Love ya and miss you! Megs

Anonymous said...

Hey lovey!
I can totally relate to the frustrations of living with a host family. Even though you care about them, it gets extremely draining having no control over anything/ everything in your day to day life! But don't worry, you'll get used to it :o). It's difficult living with a host family because they don't know YOU and your quirks and, unlike with your real family, you can't be brutally honest with them. You may feel guilty about spending time by yourself or with friends, but just remember that your family will (hopefully) understand that you're not just there to be with them. In the end they won't remember anything about you but the good anyway!

It sounds like you're doing great, though. It doesn't matter whether you move across the street or across the country it takes adjusting, so you're right on track. I'm so excited for you to be having this experience! Both the good and the bad are shaping you into a better human being... and we know you could use a lot of shaping (just kidding, you know I love you).

Enjoy every minute, it goes by fast!!

Love, Em