Some of you may know that my mom earned the title of Betty Crocker in high school, beating out stiff competition and skipping class to earn a trophy of Miss Betty herself, proudly hoisting a freshly iced cake toward the heavens. Well, as the daughter and grandaughter of great cooks/bakers, I feel it is my duty to keep on keepin on. I also feel VERY fortunate to have grown up in a family that LOVES food. Food is meant to be enjoyed, and I certainly do savor it. Now, while I can't say that I have yet fully developed into the same caliber cook/baker as the Barnes and Goessling women before me, I can say that I try.
I've recently gotten into making banana bread... mostly because I live in a college house and we tend to not eat all of our bananas before they turn brown and gross. Hence, banana bread! I made the latest loaf sometime last week and it turned out great. Then, on Saturday afternoon I decided to make chocolate chip cookies... Turns out that sometimes I get SO excited about becoming a culinary wizard that I forget to read the recipe. I put in baking powder, instead of baking soda. Well, I discovered this slip-up as I was putting the first sheet into the oven. I thought I was going to get disastrous results and was prepared for the worst. Now, at this point of my story, all 0f you more advanced bakers may know more than I did about how they would turn out. Which was great!! They are delicious. My only complaint is that they are a bit more crumbly and all fall apart. BUT, if you don't mind eating your cookies in pieces, I'm your girl!!
This morning I went to the farmer's market in Minneapolis and got a bunch of fresh veggies, which is always exciting! I just whipped up some enchiladas and Spanish rice. The rice is a first for me, but it turned out great.
I work/volunteer at a library 2 afternoons a week. There are often no kids to read with/play games with... so I've developed a new hobby of copying recipes down from cookbooks. I spotted a "Best of the Bake-Off" Chocolate cookbook that will be tomorrow's task. I'll keep you posted on my future culinary creations (or attemps) :)
Happy 4th!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Now I know what to get you for your birthday...a Betty Crocker trophy!!! This won't go down as your most exciting summer ever, but these culinary skills may come in very handy. Love Mary Crocker Sr
Post a Comment