Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Why am I a teacher.....

Sometimes (Often) I think back to when I applied for Teach For America........ and I wonder why. At the time, I was teaching part-time Spanish, and I did not like the kids. I have never liked kids. Why did I think it would be a good idea to become a teacher? This, my beloved family and friends, is what I ask myself.

We now have co=teachers in Kinder and 1st grade, which helps a great deal. 4th and 5th are chatty, but I manage. 2nd and 3rd grade are impossible. I want to scream at them and tell them how much they suck. Ay. Dios mio. I realllizzzzzzzeeeeeeeee that they are not bad kids, and that all kids have the potential to behave. I know this. I know all kids are precious, etc. But they make me go crazy, and I seriously dislike "teaching" (babysitting) them.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Is it June yet?

5 comments:

marycrockerbarnes said...

Hi Chel,
Sounds like things went well today, eh? As I recall, you were thinking of being a guidance counselor but you needed to teach first. This was to find out if you like teaching/working in schools. Since you already know you don't, this will have to be an experience in learning to persevere, building your character, finding the positive when it's not apparent it's there, and coming to terms with doing your best and letting go of the ultimate outcome. Life is hard. Take one day at a time. Build a support system. Pray for strength and compassion. Love Mom

Ceej and Em said...

Well, Chel, apparently I can't top Mary "Crocker" Barnes in the motivational speaking... but think on the bright side: you get to leave knowing you will never have hoodlums/"kids with potential" of your own flesh and blood as obnoxious and high in number as your students. Think of their parents. Think. of. their. parents. View your "educating" as free daycare for the less fortunate, you pure soul, you.

Dan said...

Chel, There is a word for Post Office frustration. It is called 'postal'. What would the word for teaching frustration be? Teachal? Reachal, Beachal? Seachal?

Love you, miss you! Hang in there.
Dan

lilian said...

oooo just the other day i heard something roosevelt apparently had said and it fits so well:

when you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!

plus, now you know what you DONT wanna do when youre done. thats....nice. :D

<3

lilian

adam and andrea said...

Brady promises never to give you as hard of a time as your kiddos...but sometimes he does pee his pants, that can't be helped.
Remember we're always here to vent, cheer, whatever you need! You've got a huge support team behind you!!
We should skype soon - miss you lots!
Love you!!