
Most of you already know that I was accepted into Teach for America!! I was placed in the Rio Grande Valley to teach high school history. I was NOT expecting that, but I'm really excited about my placement. Above is a map of the Valley- it is a 4 county area that takes 2 1/2 hours to get from one side to the other. I talked to a TFA regional staff member this afternoon for about half an hour about the region and what it's like to be a corps member there.
What I learned...
I have a 5 week training Institute in Houston from June 7- July 11. The week before Institute begins, I will be in the RGV for a one-week orientation. That week is a chance to get to know everyone else and the area. After Houston, most people find housing in the RGV.
TFA will send a resume book to principals in the schools I could be placed in. This process goes from March-August. Schools will have to look at enrollment, returning teachers, etc. to determine how many openings they have. Then someone will hire me!
The RGV is about 6 hours from Houston, and 3 from San Antonio.
There will be about 100 other people accepted to the RGV region. There will be about the same amount of 2nd year teachers, so total about 200 TFA corps members in the region.
The guy I talked to said he travels to Mexico fairly often. He also said that politically it is a fairly liberal area which surprised me! (Less conservative than other parts of Texas was my impression)
WHAT AN ADVENTURE THIS WILL BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited about this new stage in my life, and the opportunities it will bring. While I haven't accepted the offer yet, I'm planning to. Thank you all so much for your support, confidence in me and encouragement throughout this process. I love you all!



4 comments:
A new year,
A new job,
A new President,
A new apartment,
A new ...
You go girl!
It's a good thing you like country music Chel!!! You're going to start liking chicken fried steak, grits and gravy, brisket and who knows what else. Here's to a new adventure for the Chel Girl. Love Mom
sooo exciting! We're so proud of you! Love you Chel!
when I'm back in Dallas I'll come visit you and we can go to a rodeo.
Post a Comment