Monday, August 10, 2009

Sanity in South Texas

I am alive in South Texas. Homeless and unemployed, but alive. For those of you unfamiliar with my plight, Teach For America hasn't found me a job yet. The school year starts 2 weeks from today. You do the math. The infamous Ida (woman finding us all jobs) is supposed to call me today, and may ask me to become re-certified to teach another subject. I imagine y'all haven't forgotten the drama with my last test and whether or not I thought I would pass it. Here we go again!!! (Side note. I like to use y'all in my written language but I have to admit I haven't worked it into my daily vocab...) The latest is that I may become a middle school teacher, or specialize in ESL. Your guess is as good as mine as to what I will be doing when the first day of school rolls around!

So, you might ask- being an unemployed person in South Texas, what do you do? Well, my friends, there are 2 things that have filled my days recently. 

1. South Padre Island. I went there yesterday- and I have to say "living" this close to the ocean is a perk. If I don't get a teaching job, I think I'll just waitress on the Island....

2. Taco Palenque. If you come to visit, I will take you here! They supposedly have the best fajitas in the valley. They are delicious indeed. PLUS they have a salsa bar and unlimited freshly made chips. The tortillas are homemade (at least I think so) and splendid. Added bonus: they play very loud Spanish music that can't help but make you joyful. 

So.... life isn't so bad :) I'm enjoying my fellow TFA-ers (especially my fellow unemployed friends) and getting used to the heat. I'm also anxiously awaiting the arrival of Little B! Adios for now!

2 comments:

marycrockerbarnes said...

Hey Chel...good luck on your interview tomorrow! You will do great. Love the picture of Padre Island, we'll have to go there when we visit you! Love Mom

marycrockerbarnes said...

Just think Chel...you are no longer homeless or jobless!!! God is good. Love you lots!!!! Mom