Monday, September 8, 2008

scotland


Ok, I was about to go to bed... but I wanted to share a thought. For the past 2 nights, as I've been brushing my teeth and looking at my wall map (see post below), I've been trying to locate Scotland. Now, before you judge my poor geography, how many of you can honestly say you know where Scotland is? (Looking at the graphic above doesn't count) I'm not saying you don't. Maybe you are all thoroughly educated on world geography, I have no way of knowing.

I knew this lovely country was somewhere in Europe... and I thought it was in the northern region- I can say I was aware that it's not in the heart of Europe. However, I felt a bit dismayed that it was nowhere to be found. So where did I turn? Google, of course. Turns out, Scotland is just north of England, on the very same island. My map does not distinguish between the two countries, but just has it labeled as the United Kingdom. I had no idea. How related are these 2 countries? Are they sometimes lumped together under the greater label of the UK? Dad, I'm hoping you'll have an explanation for me.


Now that I know the makers of my map did not in fact, forget Scotland, I will be able to sleep.

:)

(picture from www.maps-of-britain.co.uk/images/map-scotland.gif)

2 comments:

adam and andrea said...

I'm not gonna lie, I had no idea where Scotland was...

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelsea,

Scotland is one of four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain which is usually shortened to either the United Kingdom or Great Britain. The other countries in the UK are England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Scotland has been part of the UK since 1707. Love, Dad.