Anyways, this morning I had my first crack at my future. I am a volunteer "youth coach" with the Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network, a non-profit that is fighting for Immigration Reform and educational equality regardless of immigration status. I will be at Edison High School in Minneapolis once a week for 7 weeks, facilitating 2 classes. The classes are about immigration, getting their voices heard, etc.- and the students are all ESL.
I'm happy to report that I loved it!! I was a little worried at first that the kids wouldn't be into it (one piece of the curriculum has them act out their favorite animal, for goodness sake. these are high school students!!) They really had fun with it though, and I enjoyed myself. I found their humor refreshing, and I felt more in my element than in front of the elementary kids in my Spanish classes. YAY! Not to say that one day with high-schoolers equals a blissful next two years, but I'd say it's a good sign that I didn't want to run away screaming- right?!



2 comments:
That's a VERY good sign! : ) You're going to be a fantastic teacher - sounds like a great program! Love you!
Wow that's excellent Chel. To love something new on your first day is great. You're really getting some good real world experience this semeseter. Love you lots, Mom
Post a Comment