Thursday, March 20, 2008

Montañita

Time for a sun break...

I´m in the town of Montañita, and it´s probably one of the most unique cities I´ve ever been in. Lonely Planet describes this place as having a laid-back ethos that means the end of the road for some.. which is completely true. I think a lot of people have come here and never left. Everyone that lives here is either in the hostel business or makes hemp jewelry to sell on the street. There are a ton of people with dredlocks, and everyone surfs. Also, just about every building is a hostel with a restaurant or bar underneath. The buildings are all 3 or 4 stories tall and have straw roofs-- it makes the whole town look like Swiss Family Robinson, it´s a bunch of tree houses!

The sun is STRONG here!!! Aka I´m sunburnt... which is why I´m taking a break in the shade right now. I played beach volleyball with some Montañita people yesterday which was awesome. Oh, and there are a million batido stands (smoothies), which cost 1.00$. Fresh fruit smoothies, sun, huge waves... this place is addicting!

I´ll be back in the mountains tomorrow night, and I´m planning on getting some pictures up at some point on Saturday. This weekend I´ll be packing up to head to my internship!!


love from the gringa roja :)

1 comment:

adam and andrea said...

That sounds amazing!! We have a winter storm advisory here! Can't wait to see pictures! Love you!!