Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 2

On Thursday morning we said goodbye to Andrea and Little B-to-be and hit the road. It was wonderful seeing Adam and Andrea- thanks for the hospitality, guys! We made it Springfield, IL about noon. We spent about 3 1/2 hours at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (I know you're thinking, oh my gosh... Dad must have loved this place and Chelsea begrudgingly stayed for that long). But no, I assure you that I was captivated by Mr. Lincoln and his museum. It's a really neat place where we learned a lot about Abe's life and presidency. I'm trying to think of an interesting fact to share... but it all seems to be slipping away... I really did learn a lot, though- I promise. We bought some sweet shirts there, which I will post with day 3's pictures. After the museum we went across the street to the Old State Capitol building, where (President!! woop woop) Obama announced his candidacy. It was magical. 

After leaving Springfield, IL we made our way to St. Louis. Here we are under the arch! We also visited the Museum of Westward Expansion... where we learned about westward expansion. It was very neat. They had a huge timeline, which I wish I could've downloaded into my brain. We chose not to go up the arch, because the little trolley cars look like a panic attack waiting to happen. They are tiny and you can't see out of them. No bueno, says this girl. 
The courthouse below is where the Dred Scott case was decided. After being decided in St. Louis it was appealed up to the US Supreme Court. The lawsuit was filed by 2 slaves who wanted their freedom. The Supreme Court decision ruled that blacks do not have citizenship rights, and are considered property. Therefore, white citizens have the right to buy and sell their property... which included blacks. Very, very poor judgment. 

On to day 3! It was a wonderful day had by all! (Dad and me)

1 comment:

marycrockerbarnes said...

I bet you really wanted to see the cannons pointed in the other direction at Gettsburg, Chel. It's in your blood. Love Mom