Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 3

Friday was our big driving day. We left Springfield, Missouri (where we stayed Thursday night) at about 7:50 am. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Oklahoma City for lunch... and by dinner we were in Austin, TX!! For all of you not-so-adept-at-History-like-me folks (please note the irony), Austin is the capital of this fine state. We had dinner at Chili's, took a short pit stop at the Capitol building, and then hit the road to San Antonio. We made it here about 9:30 or so, where we stayed at the Drury Plaza downtown. The hotel used to be a bank- it's super sweet. We walked along the River  Walk last night and checked out the Alamo at night. Quiz me on what happened there- I've got it down solid. 

These are the awesome shirts I mentioned in Day 2... we got them at the Lincoln Museum gift shop. Aren't they great??? They say I heart History, if you can't tell. We wore them all day yesterday... I think people thought we were going to a convention or something. I thought of a bunch of different alibis to tell people, but unfortunately no one ever asked. I'm pretty excited about the shirts. In the above photo, we are at the Texas Visitor Center, just 2 miles into the state. In case there was any doubt, we picked up our fair share (and then some) of brochures and maps. Oh, and also a few "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper stickers. If you want one, let me know. 




This is the Capitol building in Austin. It is beautiful!!!!!! I'm hoping to take a field trip there with my students someday. It is now Saturday morning, and we are off to the Alamo!!! This afternoon we will be driving to McAllen. I'm VERY excited to see what it's like. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

marycrockerbarnes said...

Great shirts! Texas is SO lucky to be getting you as a new resident Chel. Lots of love from Mom

adam and andrea said...

We had no doubt there would be lots of brochures picked up! The Barnes' keep brochure companies in business! Sweet shirts too!

It's a good thing you weren't in the big blue van as you drove slowly by the river! That might have actually gotten some more attention! Love, Adam

Yusra said...

what an adventure! you guys made what could have been a boring road trip so much fun! I love the tshirt - you should wear it everyday. fun fact - Don't Mess with Texas is a litter campaign slogan!