Sunday, May 31, 2009

Days 4/5

We made it to the Rio Grande Valley! McAllen is a very nice town with lots of palm trees (which I love)!!! EVERYONE speaks Spanish here, and the radio offers either country or music in Spanish. Definitely a different place, although I think I'm going to like it. It's really neat being this close to the border! 

Dad and I did quite a bit of exploring yesterday and this morning. We were trying to see the Rio Grande... and this morning we did. Here we are.. the other side of the bank is Mexico. We hiked about 1 1/4 hours through the RGV State Park to get to the river. We were practically eaten alive by bugs... There seems to be an infestation of critters down here, which I will have get used to. Fire ants, mosquitos, noisy birds... oh my. We survived, narrowly. 

The Rio Grande is not exactly accessible to the casual tourist. You have to be dedicated to this endeavor. Don't worry- we were. Yesterday we drove near two border/international bridges.... narrowly turning off before rolling into Mexico. On another attempt, I was pretty convinced that "the man" was watching us as we crept slowly along the river bank in our car. But don't worry- we weren't apprehended by the Border Patrol. This morning we legally viewed the river with no problems!!



This path was part of our hike to the river. I dropped Dad at the airport this morning, and he is currently in the air. We had a fabulous trip, and it was great spending so much time with him! I am taking off from the hotel in a few minutes to begin my adventure!! I'm staying at a current corps member's house tonight, and tomorrow will make my way to the University of Texas- Pan American in Edinburg, TX. Wish me luck! 

In other news, my condolences to Susan Boyle for not winning. Congrats on 2nd. 

4 comments:

marycrockerbarnes said...

Hi Chel,
I'm leaving at 4:30 to pick up Dad in the Cities. Well, it looks interesting down there...looks like cactuses in the park. I do remember stories from the Houston Barnes' about fire ants. Stay clear of them is the gist of the thing! Lots of love...Mom

adam and andrea said...

You made it! YAY! Looks like a great trip - it was fun reading about your adventures, and we can't wait to read about all the adventures to come! How exciting! We'll be thinking about you tomorrow and can't wait to hear how it's going! Love you!!

Yusra said...

nice work with the blog lady! I got Erin on it too - we love it! Good Luck with everything - I'll be sending you an email soon to catch you up on the many adventures I'm having here (note the sarcasm!) But no I do have some fun stories! talk soon.

Erin said...

I love these updates, Yusra just sent me this site! I was laughing so hard at the pictures of the shirts. And, I'd LOVE a bumper sticker. I just finished probably the last "for fun" book I'll ever read (The Unlikely Disciple) and have about 400+ pages of Pre-Institute work to read. I can't wait to hear if they collect yours. I'm so glad you made it, miss you!